Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Adding a thermometer to mash tun  (Read 1355 times)

Offline Tfwebster

• Assistant Brewer
Adding a thermometer to mash tun
« on: September 05, 2020, 12:00:53 pm »
I would like to add thermometer to my Igloo cooler mash tun. Any advice?

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Adding a thermometer to mash tun
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 12:20:32 pm »
IMHO, I found that buying a stainless steel thermometer that you could attach to a mash tun isn't worth the money, time and effort since it only measures the temp in that one spot.  In order to read accurately you need to circulate the wort.  If you're going to lift the lid to circulate the wort you might as well use an inexpensive floating thermometer, or one of those thermapen digital ones.
Considering the time and effort I put into installing a fixed thermometer on my mash tun I could have used that time and energy to brew a couple batches instead.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 12:26:45 pm by spurviance »
On tap,  Vienna Lager, Doppelbock, Dortmunder Export, Pale Ale, Porter, Saison

Fermenting, Saison

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 12:30:31 pm »
I agree with the advice above.  I prefer to be able to measure in a number of places.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 01:54:47 pm »
I have the InfuSSion 20 gallon mash tun and the thermometer is nice, but I still confirm spot checking with a Thermapen...unless I am doing a Recirc mash.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2020, 06:18:04 pm »
My practice is to stir my mash about 15 minutes in and then run my thermapen digital thermometer around as if I was stirring some more with it.  I know that recirculating mashes is in vogue now but I've so far avoided the expense of a pump and rims tube (or whatever heating method) as I'd rather spend my money on ingredients than equipment.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Adding a thermometer to mash tun
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2020, 06:30:31 pm »
I removed the thermometer on my 10 gal Infussion.  I don’t want it interfering with the Brew Bag. I use the controller readout for RIMS temp probe as my temp readings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 06:34:19 pm by BrewBama »

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 06:13:47 am »
I also don’t believe an installed thermometer is worth the cost or effort.  I stir my mash and like chinasky, I take temperature readings while constantly moving the thermometer.  Plus, IMHO, an installed thermometer would get in the way of a good stir.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉