Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Regulator PSI range  (Read 1004 times)

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
Regulator PSI range
« on: August 19, 2020, 05:40:25 pm »
Why do CO2 regulators go up to 60 PSI?  Is there a use for the upper PSI levels?

K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Regulator PSI range
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 09:38:55 pm »
Regulators are used for a lot more than just CO2 and CO2 is used for a lot more than just beer. Both have many uses and it would make little sense to make a different regulator and/or gauge for each application. Pretty much economics 101.  People do actually use higher pressures to burst carbonate beer too. It's not odd to use up to 50psi for a few hours to speed the carbonation process.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

narvin

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 11:14:51 pm »
Soda?  Beer gas in a long draw system?  Both could at least require over 30psi in some cases.

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 07:27:24 am »
I too have often wished a 0-30 psi regulator were available, but came to the same conclusions as the replies above why no one will make just one for me.

Then I ran across this one: https://www.co2masters.com/product-page/co2-regulator

I recently purchased a new regulator, so I have not tried this one and therefore cannot recommend it. It lists for $40 plus shipping. For all I know, it may be totally inappropriate and even unsafe for beer applications. The model I purchased at a home brew store, works well, and this now seems like fixing a problem I don't have.

Maybe someone who has one or knows more about regulators than myself can comment.
Roger

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2020, 07:58:14 am »
I use 60 psi to carb a keg of water
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

narvin

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2020, 08:17:22 am »
Also, the regulator is separate from the low pressure gauge.  You can put a gauge that reads the 0-30 scale on your current regulator, but the screw mechanism in the regulator still supports a larger range.

https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/gauge30psi_econ.htm

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2020, 10:07:54 am »
Also, the regulator is separate from the low pressure gauge.  You can put a gauge that reads the 0-30 scale on your current regulator, but the screw mechanism in the regulator still supports a larger range.

I don't really mind that I hang out at the low end of the gauge. I was really just curious. I appreciate all the answers and insights.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

narvin

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2020, 10:10:09 am »

I don't really mind that I hang out at the low end of the gauge. I was really just curious. I appreciate all the answers and insights.

Yeah, I think the main reason is that in this case, you can manufacture something that really is "one size fits all" and that saves money.