Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Help with a British Golden Ale or summer ale  (Read 1225 times)

Offline Descardeci

• Assistant Brewer
Help with a British Golden Ale or summer ale
« on: July 28, 2020, 08:20:10 pm »
Hey folks, how are you guys, I try to make some recipes so I can do in November to the summer, I live in the south hemisphere and since the time I get in to the brewing world and bought my first brewing book I wanted to brew this style but never did. Now after some years, I'm gonna brew this and one thought come to mind: I want use only english hops but want some fruitness, like citrus, what you guys think doing a dry hop during the high krausen to get biotransformation for this style?
Cheer folks

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Help with a British Golden Ale or summer ale
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 09:34:16 am »
It's pretty common for English brewers to use Cascade in their beers. Why not just do a late addition with them?
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline Descardeci

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 11:33:26 am »
I was reading about the compounds the biotransformation put available for the beer, but gonnna thing a little more about the cascade, thanks and cheers Bob

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 12:01:32 pm »
Historically, British brewers used a wide variety of hops. There just wasn't enough hop production in the homeland to support the massive volumes of beer produced so they had to look elsewhere. While they imported and used a lot of American hops they weren't fond of the flavor and so they were used as bittering hops. British brewers were also very fond of German and Czech hops as well and would use those as aroma and flavor hops.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 12:11:48 pm »
I agree with what others have indicated - that traditionally British brewers have not limited themselves to native grown hops. Having said that, if you are looking for a British hop that can give citrus/fruit qualities you might look at UK First Gold - descriptors include "zesty citrus quality" and "sweet tangerine and orange." It's one of the hops used in Green King's Abbot Ale and that beer does have a bit or orange-ish quality in its flavor .
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.

Offline Descardeci

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 12:54:06 pm »
I agree with what others have indicated - that traditionally British brewers have not limited themselves to native grown hops. Having said that, if you are looking for a British hop that can give citrus/fruit qualities you might look at UK First Gold - descriptors include "zesty citrus quality" and "sweet tangerine and orange." It's one of the hops used in Green King's Abbot Ale and that beer does have a bit or orange-ish quality in its flavor .
I was think this exactly for this beer, and gonna think a little more to see what gonna do, and gonna with a low abv but in the style parameter

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 08:17:53 pm »
I love the combination of EKG with Caliente, plus either Motueka or Centennial and an estery English yeast. Caliente has a lot of  stone fruit character that goes great with the esters from English ale strains, and the Motueka or Cents bring a bit of bright citrus.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Descardeci

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 09:14:46 am »
Hey folks, thanks all for the help, don't gonna brew this beer right now, but gonna look some good hops have consideration what you guys said.
Cheers folks