Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New all in one equipment 5 gal or less  (Read 1564 times)

Offline Gregorio Landeros Aranda

• 1st Kit
New all in one equipment 5 gal or less
« on: February 25, 2019, 07:22:26 am »
Hello everyone,

I am trying to select an all in one unit, I have been looking at the Brewha BIAC 5gal with a chiller. This is a big investment and want to make sure I am doing the right thing here. Anyone owns one?, love it? Hate it?, alternatives for small equipment similar?.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
Re: New all in one equipment 5 gal or less
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 10:55:42 am »
Wow, that is one expensive system. This system is not an all-in-one but all of the components fit inside the kettle for storage and it costs a third less. You can have them add a chiller to the package and it will still be quite a bit less expensive than the Brewha system.

https://www.highgravitybrew.com/store/pc/Brewing-System-Electric-Wort-Hog-5-Gallon-BIAB-120V-445p4647.htm
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline Black Lion Homebrewery

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 11:11:32 am »
Clawhammer Supply has a setup similar to high gravity's.  There's also the Mash and Boil, RoboBrew, and Grainfather.  None of them have fermentation vessels included, but with the difference in price, you could buy quite a few carboys, buckets, or stainless fermenters

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 11:16:20 am »
That system also looks quite limiting, as you'll have to wait until one batch has been fermented, aged and packaged before brewing another.  You'll also have to invest quite a bit additionally in some kind of temperature control system in order to use that as a fermenter.   It would be far more practical to have a separate brewing system filling multiple fermenters.  With the savings of a system such as Kevin suggests over the BIAC,  you could pay  for several nice fermenters and a temperature controlled fermentation chamber.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline case thrower

• Assistant Brewer
  • NE Ohio
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 03:12:44 pm »
Saw this this morning.  When I told my wife I should get one, that it was 'set it and forget it,' she said I don't do anything else as it is and I just need to keep brewing the way I am so that I'm at least doing something!

http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2019/02/original-brewie-automated-5-gallon-electric-brewing-system-sale-999-save-1300-3.html
Dave C.

Woke up this mornin' and I got myself a beer.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 03:14:40 pm »
Saw this this morning.  When I told my wife I should get one, that it was 'set it and forget it,' she said I don't do anything else as it is and I just need to keep brewing the way I am so that I'm at least doing something!

http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2019/02/original-brewie-automated-5-gallon-electric-brewing-system-sale-999-save-1300-3.html
Is it a hobby if you don't do it?  ;D

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline case thrower

• Assistant Brewer
  • NE Ohio
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 07:38:40 pm »

Is it a hobby if you don't do it?  ;D

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Beats me, but I've got a couple of recipes even I can't screw up LOL!  For crying' out loud, the thing even cleans itself.  But I'm not getting any younger and ya gotta remember what Sir Davos said!  "Nothing F#@%$ harder than time."  Or was that Ben Franklin?  ;D
Dave C.

Woke up this mornin' and I got myself a beer.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Offline Gregorio Landeros Aranda

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 08:25:56 pm »
Guys thanks so much for the feedback, I agree with all of you and I have also looked at:

https://www.clawhammersupply.com/products/digital-electric-120v-homebrew-beer-system?variant=3835803336744

Seems like a better option. Now I can invest in a cooler and temp control for my lager. I will still go see a local brewer that owns a BIAC just to check it out. I will post my thoughts here.