Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Warm humid climate  (Read 3340 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Warm humid climate
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2018, 05:10:56 pm »
Not a problem

Offline richardk

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2018, 08:43:54 pm »
Thanks for the input. What temperature do you keep the deep freezer at?

I'm still learning how to use it properly, but my three batches in it were as follows:
NOTES: The probe for temperature controller (TC) hangs in air in freezer.
Fermentation temps (FT) were monitored with a thermometer strip on the side of the fermentors.
Batches 1 and 2 used WLP001 yeast and batch 3 used WLP300.

1. TC set to 63 F, FT reached a max of 68 F.  OG for that batch was 1.067.  After two weeks, raised TC to 70 F for 4 days, then cold crashed to 33 F for one week before kegging.

2. TC set to 63 F, FT reached a max of 69 F.  OG for batch was 1.069.  After one week, raised TC to 70 F for 4 days, then cold crashed to 33 F for one week before kegging.

3. TC set to 60 F, FT reached a max of 70 F.  After one week, when FT dropped down to 63 F, raised TC to 70 for 4 days before kegging (wheat beer - no cold crash)

=============

A quick side note, to address commentary before it begins: I do not place the TC temperature probe into a thermowell in the fermentor, nor do I insulate and affix it to the side of the fermentor.  If the beer needs to ferment cooler, then I'll lower the ambient temp.
Flavor is absolute; taste is not.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2018, 10:34:37 am »
TL:DR: all previous repliers are 100% correct in writing that fermentation temperature is paramount, but all folks this deep in the country's armpit that I've talked with use a fridge or freezer - folks about the Great Lakes and New England and the Rockies just don't get it.

I have pretty much the same thoughts. I brewed in Dallas for nine years before moving this summer to Denver. Evaporative cooling doesn't work in a humid environment like Dallas or Houston. By comparison, my entire house is cooled by an evaporative cooler. I don't have AC which would be unthinkable in Texas.

I also tried the ice bath method for a few years. That was an ok approach if I had enough ice and I was home enough to add ice periodically through the day. Fine for small batches when I was in school and working from home after. If I went into the office for the day the beer went into the mid-70s. I think somebody else pointed out that you only need to really control temperatures the first few days. You might be able to get away with the ice method if you plan your brews around weekends when you'll be home a lot so you can brew Friday night and monitor temperatures over the weekend. Not ideal but better than the status quo.

I ended up buying an old dorm-size fridge from craigslist that's fairly old so it's a little larger than newer ones. It's hooked to a temperature controller and the quality of my beer improved remarkably just by making that one change. Chest freezers are good options because you can fit multiple fermenters and kegs in one space. Before buying a freezer/fridge I would suggest thinking first about what kind of larger fermenters you intend to use to make sure the freezer/fridge will accommodate the size.

Your other option to make a good beer is to brew Belgian beers. The yeast strains will accommodate warmer temperatures. You can ferment some of the saison strains into the 80s and 90s. Start those beers off with an ice bath the first day or two of fermentation to get the temperature in the mid-60s and then let it free rise to ambient temperatures.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2018, 12:59:30 pm »
Another option for reducing the impact of a warm climate and the need for fermentation cooling is to employ Kviek yeast. I was just introduced to those yeasts and they do appear to eliminate fusel alcohol production even when fermented very warm. The drawback is that those yeast produce very fruity esters. That might not be a drawback in some styles, but could be in others. I am impressed.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Robert

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2018, 08:37:04 am »
Here's an alternative I used some 25 years ago, when I first wanted to try lagers, but all I had to work with was Ohio basement temperature (still too warm really for even ales in the summer, but of course acceptable compared to Texas.)

I made a jacket for my carboy from fiberglass attic insulation wrapped in plastic cut from garbage bags and taped to exclude moisture.  I similarly constructed a cap to plug the opening at the top and let the airlock poke out.  I got a slew of those gel blocks you freeze and put in picnic coolers.  Two sets.  One set I tucked down in between the carboy and the jacket, the other was in the freezer.  Morning and evening, I swapped out the gel blocks.  As I recall, I was able to maintain ~50°F fermentation temperature,  even lower for a brief "lagering" after exothermic fermentation had subsided.  (For a D-rest, just remove the jacket and cover with a garbage bag for light protection.)  I had set it on the basement floor,  which is always going to be cooler than in Texas.  But set the whole thing on a piece of Styrofoam insulation, and it might be adaptable to your needs and desired temperatures.  The nice thing is it only needs attention every 12 hours, though it's as crude as any of the evaporative methods mentioned.

Ultimately, the freezer and temperature controller is the answer wherever you are.  Good luck and happy brewing!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline cdtcraig

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2018, 08:43:27 am »
Here's an alternative I used some 25 years ago, when I first wanted to try lagers, but all I had to work with was Ohio basement temperature (still too warm really for even ales in the summer, but of course acceptable compared to Texas.)

I made a jacket for my carboy from fiberglass attic insulation wrapped in plastic cut from garbage bags and taped to exclude moisture.  I similarly constructed a cap to plug the opening at the top and let the airlock poke out.  I got a slew of those gel blocks you freeze and put in picnic coolers.  Two sets.  One set I tucked down in between the carboy and the jacket, the other was in the freezer.  Morning and evening, I swapped out the gel blocks.  As I recall, I was able to maintain ~50°F fermentation temperature,  even lower for a brief "lagering" after exothermic fermentation had subsided.  (For a D-rest, just remove the jacket and cover with a garbage bag for light protection.)  I had set it on the basement floor,  which is always going to be cooler than in Texas.  But set the whole thing on a piece of Styrofoam insulation, and it might be adaptable to your needs and desired temperatures.  The nice thing is it only needs attention every 12 hours, though it's as crude as any of the evaporative methods mentioned.

Ultimately, the freezer and temperature controller is the answer wherever you are.  Good luck and happy brewing!
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online ynotbrusum

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2018, 11:48:44 am »
I still do as Robert suggests for my ales in the summer and my extra hybrid or lager batches in the late fall and winter (when I am short on freezer space for fermenting), but I have the specialty bag that helps a bit:

https://www.morebeer.com/products/cool-brewing-fermentation-cooler-bag.html

Cheers.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2018, 11:59:26 am »
If you want to spend money, take a look at the Brewjacket Immersion Pro.  Very effective.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell