Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Reusing Oak Spirals for different liquor  (Read 2802 times)

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
Reusing Oak Spirals for different liquor
« on: November 06, 2017, 09:38:19 am »
I have some Oak spirals that I soaked for a month in spiced rum and then added to a stout for a "rum barrel" character.  After bottling the beer I rinsed the trub off the spirals and returned them to the jar of rum where they've been soaking now for about a year.  I plan on making the rum barrel stout again this winter, but after that I don't think I'll make anything with spiced rum again. 

Would it be possible to get the rum character out of the spirals so I could use them with whiskey/bourbon or are they pretty much toast? I was thinking I could let them soak in water for a while and then soak them in whiskey, but the spiced rum (Kraken) is very strongly flavored and that might not go away.  They aren't terribly expensive so I could buy new ones, but was just curious if I could use them again.

Also, I assume the wood character fades with multiple uses similar to a barrel?
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Reusing Oak Spirals for different liquor
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 11:04:39 am »
Try boiling the spirals in a couple changes of water. If after the second round of water the spices are still plainly noticeable I'd move on. A little hint of spice might add a little complexity to the whiskey.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing