Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How to automate with Raspberry Pi  (Read 1767 times)

Offline 72superdude

• 1st Kit
How to automate with Raspberry Pi
« on: April 19, 2017, 10:26:58 am »
I have been toying with the idea of automating my home brewery, and I have found info about Raspberry pi and Craft brew Pi. The videos hurt my head, so I need your help.
I am a total idiot when it comes to computer software/hardware.

What I need is a detailed list as to what I would need to automate a 15 gallon, all grain, gas fired brew system. I'm sure a RIMS system would be much easier, but that's out of the question at the moment.

I believe I need the Raspberry Pi itself, but what kind I don't know. What else do I need in terms of controllers, probes, unicorns, etc?

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: How to automate with Raspberry Pi
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 10:49:30 am »
I wouldn't even consider trying without reasonable computer and electronics knowledge. Like many open source platforms, craftbeerpi has its pain points and will require effort to get operating and will have gremlins and bugs to workout. It's not something one should invest in unless they are willing to be their own tech support.

I'd start with the FB page, the GitHub page, and the one crazy long craftbeerpi thread over at HBT. Read the entire thread there before posting as it covers a lot of material.

As for what pi, any would likely work fine as it isn't a processor intensive task. I've seen setups using the 0W and a terradaddy board.

Check brewtronix.com. He has a controller that is made for gas and electric.

Offline 72superdude

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 11:47:41 am »
Thanks for the info! I'll be sure to check out those materials.
I'd like to do this even though I lack computer knowledge. Would be a fun thing to learn, and I have a few computer friends to help walk me through most of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline PharmBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Homebrewing Pharmacist
    • Havencrest Home Brewery
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 09:24:13 am »
I am super impressed with those folks that can program a Rasberry Pi for brewing.  While I think it can be done, I find the thought daunting.  But it keeps tempted me as I am a data addict :D
Jim
Havencrest Home Brewery - 5 Liter/BIAB
Member: Beaverton Homebrew Club, Oregon Mainbrew Guild, AHA
"Chance favors the prepared mind" - Blaise Pascal