Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Quick fix for leaky poppits?  (Read 2106 times)

Offline epro

• 1st Kit
Quick fix for leaky poppits?
« on: June 01, 2016, 05:06:37 pm »
Anyone have a more handy solution for dealing with a leaky poppit on a full keg? I went to transport this keg, which wasn't leaking before being tapped...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
Re: Quick fix for leaky poppits?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 09:02:39 pm »
If you could find a way to apply some positive pressure without risking getting beer in your regulator that might work. I'm not feeling smart enough to think through how that would work, but maybe someone else can?

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 11:32:06 am »
Release the pressure and leave the PRV open while you remove the post and replace the poppet?
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 04:33:21 am »
Release the pressure and leave the PRV open while you remove the post and replace the poppet?
  +1

Otherwise, each time you disconnect, move the poppit with a screwdriver, or other "poking stick" to position the poppit to seal.    If the leak is on the gas side, spray starsan over the poppit when you think it is sealed and see if there are bubbles.  If the leak is on the beer-out side, the foutain of beer will let you know if you need to keep going.

-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 02:30:54 pm »
  +1

Otherwise, each time you disconnect, move the poppit with a screwdriver, or other "poking stick" to position the poppit to seal.    If the leak is on the gas side, spray starsan over the poppit when you think it is sealed and see if there are bubbles.  If the leak is on the beer-out side, the foutain of beer will let you know if you need to keep going.

When I had a problem with beer not flowing I took a screwdriver and poked the beer-out poppet. "Let's see if the poppet is stuck or clogged," I was asking myself, not for a moment asking myself how liquid under pressure would behave. Thankfully I was in old clothes I use for gardening, and besides, I've heard beer is good for hair.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 08:06:31 pm »
Assuming you are talking about the "out" poppet, i would first ascertain if it is clogging, normally occurs from dry hop residue.  If you have lots of that in your keg, either transfer to another keg via jumper set-up, or maybe jury-rig the bottom end of the dip tube with screen or mesh bag (sanitized of course), or saw off 1/4" of the bottom of the beverage dip tub to get above the particulate.  Otherwise be sure after transporting to let the keg sit a long time in the upright position (a few hours), so particulate settles to the bottom, below the dip tube, and hopefully it won't suck in more debris as you pour beer.

If you don't think the poppet is clogging, you'll probably be ok releasing keg pressure, remove the poppet(s), and add a bit of keg lube to the o-ring(s), re-sanitize, and then re-tighten, or as mentioned by others put on a spare different poppet from the same brand keg.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 08:08:11 pm by brewsumore »