Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WY1968 for an Imperial Stout?  (Read 1482 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
WY1968 for an Imperial Stout?
« on: September 05, 2014, 02:41:12 pm »
I'm using 1968 for an English Summer Ale, followed by an ESB. My barleywine pipeline is pretty full right now, but I hate to waste a big healthy pitch of yeast. I was thinking of using it for a RIS.

Anyone have any experience/recommendations for using this strain in a RIS? Any other suggestions for a big beer I could use this in?
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: WY1968 for an Imperial Stout?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 03:08:00 pm »
I've never used it in RIS, but I've read a thread or two here about using it for that. My reason for not using it in a big beer has always been the low attenuation/high flocculation tendencies, so no experience there. But I'm sure that with a big starter, plenty of O2, ramping up at the end, and rousing (if necessary) you'd get there, as evidenced by testimonials here.  I just never wanted to spend the coin on that grain bill and get stuck high at the end (or have to work that hard, to be honest  ;) ).  I would normally recommend highly using WY1450 (Denny style) for this, though it doesn't solve the 1968 issue.  So, maybe a 1.070-ish Imperial ESB, dry hopped heavily, plenty of gypsum ?  I also like the idea of a bigger, hoppier Old Peculier, ~ 1.070  -  sort of a more British-y Arrogant Bastard.  No coincidence -  1.070 is the top OG I've used 1968 at. Guess I'm not as much help as I intended !

« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 09:20:19 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 04:13:45 pm »
Agreed.  1986 as you know may not fully attenuate such a big grain bill before it drops out of suspension.  You could always start with it and be prepared to pitch a second yeast if needed to finish the job.  The characteristics that 1968 produces would blend well with a classic RIS though...

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 01:02:01 pm »
Use a big starter or a yeast cake and rouse the yeast once a day throughout fermentation, and you will be fine.

I once brewed a clone of Fuller's vintage ale, 90% pale ale malt, 7% flaked maize, 3% crystal malt using a yeast cake of 1968, and it took a 1.090 gravity beer to 1.020. I thought that was pretty good.

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 06:33:03 pm »
You should be able to get 9% or even more with that yeast.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!