Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I tried the shaking method  (Read 2309 times)

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
I tried the shaking method
« on: March 31, 2013, 08:46:25 pm »
I blew my last keg Thursday night. So I stuck my next one in. Friday morning I put 30lbs on it. I stopped and shook it every time I went downstairs. Today after the last time I shook it I decided to vent it and see how far it had come. Don't ever do that right after you shake it. Anyway I wiped the beer off of me and pulled a draw. It was perfectly carbed and delicious. The shaking method works.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline grod

• Cellarman
Re: I tried the shaking method
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 08:58:26 pm »
I always shake mine to carb them.  I do it all in one go and it only takes me a few mins to complete.  No real accurate volume of CO2 is put in but it works for me.

love

g
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 06:25:04 am »
Today after the last time I shook it I decided to vent it and see how far it had come. Don't ever do that right after you shake it.

^ Word to the wise.

I ran up against a deadline for a brew once (my wedding, actually) and kegged a day before I had to set off, so I employed the Drew Beechum method: put the keg in the back of your car, hook it up to CO2, drive a few hours to destination.

Also works like a charm.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline dean_palmer

• Cellarman
    • The Beer Journals
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 10:27:59 am »
If you want to follow the whole method and not drag it out so long or have to drive around with kegs and CO2 in your car, try the method listed here. It is accurate, and fast, only taking a few minutes to nearly perfect carbonation. To avoid a foam shower you'll still need to let it rest a bit after all the shaking ;-)

http://www.thebeerjournals.com/carbonation.html

I may time it next time, but this is usually less than 10 minutes of work.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 11:00:21 am »
If you want to follow the whole method and not drag it out so long or have to drive around with kegs and CO2 in your car, try the method listed here. It is accurate, and fast, only taking a few minutes to nearly perfect carbonation. To avoid a foam shower you'll still need to let it rest a bit after all the shaking ;-)

I used to just shake at high pressure and estimate the end result, but lately I've had excellent and fast results with staged shaking, as in that article.  I should mention that Dr. Tom also described the same method somewhere on this forum.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 01:32:15 pm »

I used to just shake at high pressure and estimate the end result, but lately I've had excellent and fast results with staged shaking, as in that article.  I should mention that Dr. Tom also described the same method somewhere on this forum.
Not me.  I'm an advocate for setting it at serving pressure and shaking as much as needed to get it fully carbed.  I've over shot too many times and it is too much of a pain to fix to do it with high pressure.  If the beer is already cold you can still have it carbed in 10-15 minutes.
Tom Schmidlin